Monday, July 20, 2009

Thoughts on...... The Super-Christian


I decided to write this blog because I, ladies and gentlemen, have become cynical. Not about God, who He is, my purpose in life, or any of that. But I've become cynical about (and would rather eat a spoon full of poo than have a conversation with)......the Super-Christian.

Although the term itself wreaks of judgment, I write as a former Super-Christian myself. Many of you know that I myself was, after all (and despite my anti-Christian live-in father), raised to be the perfect Christian. I was saved at four, spoke in tongues when I was six, and decided on a water baptism at age eight. I went to church AT LEAST three days a week (and twice on Sunday), taught Sunday School, Children's Church and Vacation Bible school, went on the missions trips to Mexico, youth conventions twice a year, and I met with a team on Saturdays to witness to people on the beach. Being so involved masked my insecurities, but did not help me deal with them because somehow, the more I did, the more unworthy I felt. There wasn't really time to develop my personal relationship with God, and it became easier to just take the pastor's studies as my own instead of getting to know God for myself.

Well, let me tell you....I entered High School fully Christified. I invited my friends to youth group every Friday, and totally ran my mouth.......I mean, spread the word of God relating to girls that were, well, less than holy. I was "super" all right. A thought..... You know how it would be no fun to be pretty if there weren't any ugly people, or rich if no one were poor? I wonder if all that work you go through to be holy only makes you feel good if you make other people feel unholy. It sure eases the insecurity to look at all of the people that are DEFINITELY going to hell.

The problem with this kind of thinking is that it doesn't account for people's feelings, their struggles, their past, or their pain. God is not arrogant, he is loving. How can one call themselves a Christian if they spread only God's condemnation and not his love? Is it possible to teach someone to be a "super" Christian without teaching them how to be a compassionate person? What about this "us against them" attitude is Christ-like?

Living life has taught me that I don't have and never had any right to "super" status. Only God really knows our hearts, our pains, our hurts, and the things we have overcome. You can't earn salvation. Salvation is a free gift, and all we have to do is accept it. All Christians should realize that people can see us even if we think our masks are thick enough to hide our truth. If our life is the true example of God's love, then we won't be able to stop people from coming to us to find out more.

It would be easy for me to write a blog condemning people who have pre-marital sex because I'm married now, or abortions because I never had one...... to never use curse words in my blogs and proclaim my holiness because most of you don't talk to me in real life. But the truth is I'm dramatic, quick-witted, I make decisions about people way too fast, I still wear low-cut shirts, I always know how to get what I want, and although God's love for me is perfect, my love for Him is flawed. I don't have a Jesus fish on my car, because it would be a shame for someone to change their view of what it is to love Jesus after I give them the finger in traffic. See?... I'm a trip and God loves me anyway. He even gave me a husband that truly loves me (despite myself), and 2 1/2 beautiful children. Not because I earned them, because I married a preacher's son, or because I clocked in more church hours than women who are still single..... it is because that was God's plan for me. God let me realize his plan even though I was far from super. Because of His mercy. Because of His is love. Because THAT is who God truly is.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."- Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment